Sunday, September 25, 2011

Traveling with 2

So I decided to try an adventure and take both kids by myself to the zoo this week. It took the usual 30 minutes to get everyone loaded in the car and on the road. As we pulled into the parking lot, Ben had a blowout. This has become his usual pattern, to save up all his poop for two days and blow it all out at one time. He try's for the most inconvenient spot if he can, and today he hit his target. So I put him in the hatch and We spent our first half hour at the zoo cleaning him up. So with a mound of poopy wipes and diapers in one hand and Elliot's hand in my other, I attempted to get us and Ben in the stroller to the front gate. By the time we got through the gate, Ben was screaming his head off. Apparently pooping that much makes you hungry. So we stopped just inside the front gate to feed Ben, passing our next half hour at the zoo. With Ben fed, we finally headed out to see the animals. I barely get Elliot past the gift shops and he tells me "too much walking" and wants to sit down and have a snack. So we rest and snack, and I try to entice him to trek over to the gorillas, which he usually loves. We get about another 30 feet and he tells me he needs a stroller for him. We find the very next bench and sit down again and he asks for his lunch. If you know the LA Zoo, we are now just past the flamingos, no animals in site. After Elliot eats his lunch, its now 12:30 and based on my experience so far it's going to take us another hour to get back to the car, so I have no choice but to turn us around and head back. A trek which although only about 200 yards, does manage to take us another half hour. All in all hours technically spent at the zoo: 2.5 , animal sighted: 2 (if you don't count the squirrels, which Elliot does), money spent in the gift shop: $10 (but at least I got my membership discount!), time spent with my 2 boys: worth it.

Of course, you know me, I went out and bought a new double stroller today! I can do this. :)

No comments: